Saturday, July 26, 2008

A day in the park

This first image above was done at Michigan State University gardens on the south side of the CN tracks. This is the first sketch in my new Hand Book Journal 8.25" x 5.5". It also has a red cover if anyone is interested. Seems like this is going to be my favorite size as it was very comfortable to use. I sat on a similar bench to do this sketch and it was in the shade with a cool breeze. So it was a fantastic day. A new sketchbook, a light lunch in the park and railroad tracks about 30 feet away with a couple of trains going by while I was there. It don't get much better.

This next image was done in a Hand Book Journal 5.5" x 8.25" landscape sketchbook. The wheel crane was sitting at the construction site where they are bridging CSX tracks over Farm Lane south of the MSU campus. No trains while I was there but I did find a nice shade tree to park under. More later.

9 comments:

lyn said...

Great blog! Glad the group encouraged you to draw more! Love the old train. Checked out yout metal work, its awsome! I need to do more creative welding and metalwork, I end up fixing broken pipe corals! I want to incorperate metal stands for my larger glass work. Hard to find time. Gardens are beautiful too. Continued success!!

Carol said...

Enjoyed the blog - and your subject is so different and so fresh! Thanks. I'll be checking in regularly.

Christina´s sketchblog said...

Thanks for the link. Great work and inspiring with the old train.

Ann said...

Aren't those hand.book sketchbooks great! I just got the larger landscape format one too. I really like your sketches - very nice!

Debi said...

Great sketches, and enjoyed your blog!

Penny said...

I like your blog.I like drawing buildings too.
Have you ever been to OZ? In the town near where we live they run a steam engine called the cockle train during the school holidays.fantastic route right along the sea in some places.

Sue said...

Great drawing of the garden and then down the road a piece to the train tracks. I love your variety. Sounds like campus is changing a lot. Or should I say a lot more.

You lived in Howell too! What a small world! Ah, 1963. A tad before my time. I graduated in 1976. Did your Mom by any chance teach English in Howell? I had a Mrs. Thayer - she was my favorite English teacher.

Douglas said...

Thanks all for the comments. Nice to know folks are looking at my sketches. You are all inspiring and keep my interest in using sketcbooks alive. Sue, my Mom wasn't a teacher. At least not that she was paid for. I did learn a lot from her.

freebird said...

Ah, that bench looks like it's in a comfy spot. Good job.